Author Topic: IDEAS FOR WHEN WE START SHOOTING HFT COMPS AGAIN.  (Read 668 times)

Offline Dave Benyon

• NWAF - VIP
IDEAS FOR WHEN WE START SHOOTING HFT COMPS AGAIN.
« on: May 06, 2020, 08:59:15 pm »
Hi guys and girls hope you are all safe and well. Hopefully in a short while we may be able to resume shooting HFT again. With this in mind below is a list of ideas how we can meet up and shoot comps again safely. With the current virus issues this means we are going to have to do some things in a different way until things return to normal.
The list below are only some ideas to get over some of the issues that might arise with the current way we shoot hft comps. If we can get some sort of plan sorted now so when we can shoot everybody knows what to expect when you attend a NW inter-club shoot.

1-Shooting equipment- each shooter must only use their own mats,bean bags, filling gear etc unless you are with family members who share the same home.

2-Strings- Target strings will have a small hoop in them at the firing point, the shooter will then use their own hook to reset the target. Something like a 4"paint roller handle would be ideal. The strings would not be allowed to be used for checking wind direction.

3-Shooting pegs- There is some concern regarding multiple shooters touching the shooting pegs. This may be an issue, it may not but if it is then the idea I have had is for each shooter to have a small bean bag say 150mmx150mmx75mm that you use to support your forward shooting hand. The pegs would not be used and the shooting position would be marked by a sprayed circle on the ground. I know this is not the normal way we shoot HFT but things are not normal at the moment.

4-Supported shots- We would have the same issue with supported shots as with pegs. The way round this would be to remove the 4 supported shots and have an extra 2 or 4 unsupported shots.

5- Score cards- Each shooter would mark their own card but would show their shooting partner on each lane that they have entered the correct result. At the end of the comp the card would be taken to who ever is collecting the cards. This person would view the card that the shooter is holding to check the final score entered and the card details are correct and the score and the shooters name entered on a separate sheet. The shooter could then dispose of the card in a safe manor.

6- Entry fees- Shooters would be required to bring the correct entry fee to save who ever is booking in handling cash. The money could be put in a container and left for 72hrs [ advice  off WHO] before being handled again.

I know some of these ideas wont suit everyone and the courses may be slightly different to what were used to but if we can get some idea of what people feel safe with we can have some sort of plan sorted ready for when we can shoot again.
Lets get as many comments as we can on the above and then we can get something in place, cheers Dave.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:36:34 pm by Woki »

Offline evboy

• 'NWAF'
Re: IDEAS FOR WHEN WE START SHOOTING HFT COMPS AGAIN.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:13:42 pm »
Hi Dave those ideas sound good to me if everybody make sure everybody follows the rules no reason it canít work . Get us all shooting again till everything settles down sometime in the future ???.

Offline Pastiehunter

• NWAF - Rivi Rep'
  • Give them nothing but take from them everything.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 09:14:28 pm »
I think these are all good ideas and should keep everyone as safe as possible.
I personally think that this is the best way forward at the present time.

Offline Dave Ramshead

• NWAF - VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 09:23:12 pm »
I support all the ideas tabled by Dave.
Shooting rest idea may need wider input re dimensions.
6 unsupported positionals per course sounds pretty cool _thumb
www.rivington-riflemen.eu
"rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance if wise men"

Offline Woki

• NWAF - Admin Team
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:24:57 am »
Posting at the request of Dave Benyon [busy painting]

After further thought, He proposes to save extra expense of buying smaller bean bags, to use the original Kneeler bags
most hft shooters have, to be used with supported  wrist on the bag only NOT  the full forearm .
This will also aid elevated shots to be taken.
All that is necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men do Nothing.

Offline Mark Kirby

• 'NWAF'
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 10:55:22 am »
I you haven't got a kneeler bag, would a rolled up towel in a carrier bag  do?

Offline Hooky

• 'NWAF'
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 01:59:36 pm »
Think shooting of a bean bag is a better option no poast is a problem but bean bag a good replacement

Offline Darkhorse

• 'NWAF'
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 04:36:49 pm »
I think to solve all arguments shoot kneeling and standing
Be excellent practice.
Then your not touching nothing.
And only need your been bag

Offline Darkhorse

• 'NWAF'
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 04:58:36 pm »
Kneeling and standing.
Bean bag ,knee pads can be used and your foot touches peg.
I believe this is the correct approach.

Offline Darkhorse

• 'NWAF'
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 05:16:46 pm »
What would be prone will be kneeling _thumb

Offline Darkhorse

• 'NWAF'
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 05:58:34 pm »
Nobody has mentioned scores and the usual set up!
I suggest we treat all comps or meetings as a GP and scores also and gauntlet resumes after all is well

Offline tagtag1

• NWAF - Oldham Rep'
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 07:14:41 pm »
I personally would have liked to have retained the posts , as we all use a shooting glove and those that don't could use surgical gloves and dispose of them when finished.
A few of the Worsley members have also expressed the same opinion . However whatever the majority agree to will determine the final outcome regarding our revised rules for HFT .

Offline tagtag1

• NWAF - Oldham Rep'
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 07:54:28 pm »
I think Darkhorse suggestion is extreme and see no reason why we cant shoot prone using our own mats

Offline Darkhorse

• 'NWAF'
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 08:35:27 pm »
Our thoughts are to be safe this should not be about your score but being out amongst your own doing your sport and enjoying.

Offline LMeds

• Rivi Riflemen
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 08:43:35 pm »
Thanks Dave for setting a great platform for discussion in preparation for the restrictions being lifted. Achieving this now will save time and ensure all shooters know what to expect at the first shoot.

This approach gives us as close as possible to our beloved HFT and try's to keep any risks at an absolute minimum. Personally not touching the string or post is a must.Surgical gloves have been mentioned it still poses issues around spreading it from glove to glove and touching your face whilst spending 2 to 3 hours shooting without thinking is a distinct possibility. Especially for shooters who remove glasses whilst taking their shot.

On a lesser point wearing rubber gloves for this length of time in warm sticky conditions would be very uncomfortable.

Kneeling and Standing only, would put a lot of shooters off and defeats the object of meeting up with all our shooting community.  I know that nothing in these circumstances will be perfect but I think these suggestions are as close to the real thing. Diet HFT if you will.

I would support these shoots and would be happy to attend knowing that we have minimised the risk of bringing home the virus to my family.

Hope to see you all soon

Lee